Coloring is an awesome activity for children. It helps with fine motor skills and sparks creativity. Abby LOVES to draw. Gabe on the other hand LOVES to peel off the crayon wrapper and break it in half. I’ll cut him a break, he’s two 🙂 I noticed when he broke it in half, he would have colored wax residue on his hands and it took some scrubbing to come off. The most popular of all crayons out there is the Crayola brand. On their website, they state that their formula is proprietary so they can’t disclose every ingredient. However, they list that their crayons are free from most the the common allergens such as:
Eggs & Egg Shell
Nut & Nut Oil
Sesame & Sesame Oil
D&C Red Dye #40
I think these allergens would naturally be excluded from the ingredient list in a crayon because a crayon is made of wax and coloring. I noticed only Red Dye #40 is omitted from their manufacturing process. Who knows what other chemical additives and harmful dyes are used in the conventional manufacturing process. A recent report found that asbestos was found in children toys and some brands of crayons. If inhaled, asbestos fibers can irritate lung tissues. When exposure is extreme, asbestos can cause lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis.
Even though the report found asbestos in crayons, I imagine that it is in small amounts…but keep in mind your little ones lung development and, if your children already have sensitivities like mine, it wouldn’t hurt to choose crayons made of natural and non-toxic materials. Conventional crayons like the crayola brand could be made with chemical additives and dyes. According to their website, they are made with paraffin wax which is a petroleum byproduct and requires the use of toxic chemicals to process. This wax is not biodegradable and could take many years to decompose.
Here’s a list of the for eco-friendly and non-toxic crayons:
- Triangular shaped crayons made from natural beeswax
- Set of 24 non toxic crayons
- Reusable cardboard box with plastic tray
- Handmade in Portland Maine USA by eco-kids.
- 20 vibrant crayon sticks
- Non-toxic. Fade-resistant. Safe for kids and the environment. All packaging is FSC certified. All ingredients are source in the USA.
- Handmade from 100% pure New Zealand beeswax with non-toxic pigments so they are safe for infants, kids and children of all ages. Contains no paraffin wax or cheap fillers.
- Durable & Ergonomic Shape – The unique chubby shape of Honeysticks makes them easier for small hands to hold, but much harder for small hands to break!
- Each crayon is 55mm long and 20mm diameter, so they’re thick and hard to break in half. I dare you Gabe 🙂
- Sustainable & Low Impact – The beeswax used to create Honeysticks is a natural by-product of honey production. This sustainable process causes minimal impact on the environment and gives the crayons a wonderful honey scent.
- 12 Colors. Crayon material easily bonds to the paper, poster or artboard.
- They offer a Money Back Guarantee if you’re not 100% happy!