Your baby tender skin is ultra sensitive. That’s why I’ve put in time to research everything that touches babies’ skin, including sunscreen/sunblock.
You may have noticed that the use of the word “sunblock” has lessened. As of 2013, the FDA has banned such use of the term “sunblock” from manufacturers because it can lead consumers to think or rely on marketing that a product can block 100% of the sun’s rays. However, due to habit, you’ll hear some people use the words sunblock and sunscreen synonymously.
Types of suncreen
Sunscreens can be classified into:
- physical sunscreens (mineral sunscreen that reflect the sunlight) or
- chemical sunscreens (absorbs then releases heat)
What can be confusing about chemical sunscreens is that they are often referred to as chemical or organic absorbers. Chemical sunscreens contain organic absorbers (carbon-based) compounds, such as octinoxate, octisalate, avobenzone and oxybenzone which work to create a chemical reaction, changing UV rays into heat, then releasing that heat from the skin. The byproducts of this reaction are free radicals. Because of this and the ingredient listing in chemical sunscreens, there is some controversy that it may actually cause cancer. Yep. The sunscreen that you thought would protect you against skin cancer, may cause cancer in addition to hormone disruption and skin allergies.
Conventional manufacturer sunscreen and chemical sunscreen are loaded with chemicals, including, but not limited to:
- Parabens and phthalates, a carcinogen
- Oxybenzone, an endocrine disruptor that could free radicals when exposed to UV light.
- PEG’s (polyethylene glycols) which are petroleum compounds used in skin care, can be contaminated with other chemicals/substances and functions as a “penetration enhancer,” increasing the permeability of the skin to allow greater absorption of the product — including harmful ingredients
- Propylene Glycol, a skin softener. The EWG links it to cancer, reproductive damage, and extreme skin irritation
- SLS/SLES, a synthetic detergent. These are often cited as carcinogens
 Epstein, S with Fitzgerald, R. Toxic Beauty. Dallas: BenBella Books, 2009: 158-9.
Here’s the list for the safest, non-toxic sunscreens.
Quick List – Safer/non-toxic sunscreen:
- Thinksport Kids Sunscreen
- Sun Bum Baby Bum Premium Natural Sunscreen Lotion and Stick
- Goddess Garden Everyday Natural Sunscreen Lotion
- All Good Sunscreen Butter
- Erbaviva Sunscreen
- Comes in 3 oz and 6 oz options
- Top Rated by EWG with a “1” rating
- Free of biologically harmful chemicals. No Avobenzone, Oxybenzone, or UV Chemical absorbers, Paraben, phthalates, PABA and 1,4 dioxane free
- Non-nano formulation – average particle size >100micron
- First Sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care Requirements
- Face stick or lotion in SPF 30. I love the face stick for easy application!
- Has good reviews from the EWG
- Paraben free, phthalate free, petroleum free, and approved and recommended by the skin cancer foundation
- Ideal for an active day at the beach! With any sunscreen, it needs to be reapplied ever 2 hours (depending on sunscreen brand)
- Broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection
- Observations: I like this all-natural sunscreen that is 100% biodegradable, but there is a white cast that fades over time when it oxidizes with your skin
- SPF 30UVA/UVB protection
- Includes organic ingredients like aloe vera and sunflower oil
- 80 minutes of water resistance
- Non-nano, reef safe, non-GMO, biodegradable, vegan, cruelty free, alcohol free, free of oxybenzone, parabens, and synthetic fragrance
- Observations: Remained a little greasy on skin with a slight white tint that faded
- 50 SPF + UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum Protection
- EWG Top Rated Safest Sunscreen
- Very Water Resistant (80 minutes)
- Ideal for face, nose, ears, and more
- NSF Certified Organic, with our Farm’s Calendula Flowers
- Observations: A light and silky cream that doesn’t leave an unsightly white residue!
- Made with zinc oxide (a naturally occurring mineral), aloe, sunflower, olive, and jojoba oils and infused with organic essential oils of chamomile and lavender
- 30 SPF UVA/UVB and full spectrum sunscreen protection for the entire family
- Nicely applies to face and body without the use of unwanted chemicals
- Water-resistant for up to 80 minutes