One of the most important items to purchase is a baby stroller. And like every other product category on Eco Mama Lists, this is a category that I’m embarrassed to say that I spent a ton of time looking into. I called manufacturers asking questions about their products only to be pointed to an FAQ section or given a standard response. There are a ton of options in the market today, but I found that there were a limited number of strollers that were non-toxic and a number of strollers in the market that contain BPA, phthalates, PVC and treated with toxic flame-retardants.
Here’s a list of important things to look out for when considering a non-toxic stroller
- Any type of fabric coating that indicates waterproof, anti-bacterial, stain resistance, etc is of suspect.
- Look out for GOTS certified, Oeko-Tex 100 standard fabrics. Oeko-Tex certified fabrics are required to meet certain limits for chemicals. This does not mean that the chemicals are not present, just in smaller amounts compared to mainstream strollers
- There are certain juvenile products that are exempted from the CA TB 117 such as strollers, infant carriers and nursing pillows. However, the industry still must ensure that the products comply to the labeling requirement of TB 117, which could mean that they utilize non-eco friendly and even harmful materials to manufacture the product.
Here’s the list of safer standard strollers that are responsibly made and have either phased out or limited usage of harmful materials in manufacturing the strollers. A “standard” stroller usually has the most storage space, as well as extra features such as cup holders, canopies etc.
- A biggest selling feature of this stroller is that it is lightweight (only 19 lbs) and folds down pretty compact ideal for travel and storage
- Adjustable handle comfortable for the tallest parent
- Uses is Oeko-Tex® certified made from only the safest materials
Mountain Buggy Cosmopolitan Buggy
- Alternate between forward and rear facing options
- Adjustable handle length with a range from 94-108cm, parents can choose their range height for a more comfortable push
- 12″ rear wheel Aerotech tires offers superior handling with no hassles of maintenance
- Available as a travel system with Mountain Buggy protect infant car seat – an ultra safe and light car seat with base installation option
- Wide range of car seat adapters, allows cosmopolitan to attach most leading car seats to your stroller